Saturday, August 25, 2018

Katie Grace

Born 8/23/2018
8 pounds 15 ounces
23 inches long

     In a way, the story begins with Christmas 2017.

     For Christmas we often try to spend time with both sides of the family.  2017 was to be no different and we had made it to Bemidji to celebrate Christmas with my wife's side of the family but things didn't go as planned.  We never made it Brainerd to visit my side as sickness set in and we did not want to spread it.

     Jump forward to January and we finally had an opportunity to go to Brainerd to celebrate Christmas but again, things didn't go as planned.Shelly found her self in great pain and having short breaths.  A trip to the ER in the middle of the night, a ton of tests later and no answers as to why but pain subsided.

     Returning home, the pain returned and during the another bout we took another trip to the ER.  This time the problem was diagnosed - a Gallstone was blocking her bile duct.  They decided to take her to Fargo by ambulance to operate and when she came to after the surgery they asked her if she knew she was pregnant.  Not only was she pregnant but she was almost 12 weeks along and had no idea.  She forwarded the picture of the ultra sound showing the baby to me and at first I just thought she was sending an ultrasound of the gallstone. The due date was set to August 12th and the count down began.

Lesson learned - Don't have gall stones.

     Jump forward to August 22nd - 10 days past due date.  I came home from helping put sheeting on a roof and I was told contractions had started. Obviously, Shelly did not sleep well that night as contractions picked up and neither did I.  Sometime around 4:45 am I heard a car door and looked out side to see headlights in the driveway.  At first I wondered who was outside messing with the cars at that time of the morning but I quickly realized it was the midwife.  Shelly had messaged her earlier.

     A quick check over and it was determined Shelly was dilated to about 6 but it wasn't long before kids were up and needing to be hauled here and there.  I texted into work to say I wouldn't be in, took one kid to the pool to work and our daughter-in-law took three more to play practice.  With all the activity - contractions backed off and we waited.

     By afternoon, another friend had arrived to help with the birth and eventually contractions picked back up.  I had to take kids back to town for soccer practice and then rush back home in hopes the baby would soon make an appearance but we continued to wait.

     As we neared the 9 o-clock hour we could tell things were getting close and soon the kids were home from practice as some wanted to be there and at 9:25 PM I caught a baby girl.

     While God took Nathan home with Him, He didn't leave us empty and in His grace He has blessed us with a beautiful baby girl.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful! I didn't know you had a blog. Cool!!